Last night we had to block our first service abuser. Over 21000 automated queries in just few days! The persons who had set up the automated script have been consuming over 90% of the bandwidth used by the site every month. The script always checked .fr domains. Usually three to four letters long.
Looking over the site logs, this has been happening for a very long time. Something we were aware of, but until few weeks ago, when we decided to further develop DomainRecord.Info we didn’t really found this to be a problem. It was simply a nuisance, which we saw as unethical due to the way the queries were executed and the data retrieved.
Hopefully it will be a while before we have to block someone again.